About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ladies glow.

As in, “horses sweat, men perspire, ladies glow.” I am loving these early morning workouts! I added 20 minutes on the treadmill yesterday and am finding that a 20 minute amble at 2-3 mph is the perfect way for me to wake up and start moving. Then it's 25-30 minutes on the recumbent bike while reading. [Ah, reading! how I have missed thee!] And I'm out, less than an hour after I walked in, with all sorts of endorphins bubbling and squeaking as they pinball around in my innards.

This morning, whilst on the treadmill, I had the misfortune to be face-to-screen with first, an infomercial for a tool that steams and sterilizes everything in one’s house. That one was merely boring. The next one was for a gizmo that allegedly treats E/D. People, there are no E’s in my household! Functional or dys-. Let me just say that the last six minutes or so of treadmill time seemed far longer than the first fourteen!

I am reading, and enjoying, Sharon Kay Penman’s novel about Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine. I have just reached the part where Thomas Becket, having been made a priest and then Archbishop of Canterbury almost overnight, has suddenly become religious and handed over his seal as chancellor. Which pleaseth not the king.

I like Eleanor, as written. I like her mother-in-law, Maude, whose musings on the vagaries of aging echo some of my own thoughts. I think both of them would have loved Relief Society and the LDS Church, had it been around when they were. I can just see Eleanor as a Primary president in ward council, explaining to the brethren that parents needed to pick up their children from the nursery promptly after church, or they would be fostered into other royal households or sold into serfdom.

I can imagine Maude telling the Young Women to keep their minds on God and their knees together, and to get every scrap of education they can, because they couldn't, back when she was a girl, and women need to be both smart and wise.

My willful, miscreant ankle, the one that ebbs and flows with the moon, is almost instantly happier now that I am moving around more. I love the new walking shoes. One of the train engineers complimented me on them last night, said they were snazzy and looked very comfortable. He’s right on both counts. I didn’t tell him they were guy shoes and he could probably have a pair just like them if he knew where to shop. I just smiled demurely and thanked him.

Lunch and snacks are packed. Everything I ate yesterday, with the exception of a few gummi bears last night and a handful of red hot jelly beans at work, was healthy. I have no idea what I’m going to wear, once I am out of the shower, but I have half an hour to figure that out. Taking the yarn money that I got for my birthday, to work with me, since I have noodled around so long here at the keyboard that I will need to drive in, and the temple [sigh...] is closed.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Love your take on Maude and Eleanor. What a fabulous pair of women.

I've been looking at my calendar and May 15 or 22 look best for me. The 8th is Lauren's birthday and we'll all be out and about with her. So, please let me know if either of the other dates will work for you. We'll celebrate your birthday late and mine early or something like that.