About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Things I did today.

Slept in until almost 7:30. I know. Made myself a cheese sandwich, grabbed the cable box, two remotes, and a cord, and put them in the back seat. Grabbed the new license plates. And a death certificate. And a bottle of Ensure. And my knitting.

Headed over to the garage for what I hoped would be an easy fix on the trouble light and then a safety inspection plus the installation of the new plates. Got a lot of knitting done. A lot. Enough that I finished the first repeat of the second motif of StellaLuna and inserted another lifeline and made a good start on the second repeat. I was in a comfy chair at the garage for the better part of five hours. I left with a new catalytic converter (still on warranty from last year, huzzah!), no more trouble light, and new plates.

Came home and dropped off my knitting and various bits of paperwork, made another sandwich (this time with some spicy allegedly-brown but suspiciously yellow mustard to unbland it) and lit out for the cable company. They have an electronic waiting list. And a popcorn machine. And bottled water. I was #22, but a lot of folks apparently got tired of waiting, because half a dozen or more of them did not step forward when their names went up on the screen.

A very nice young man helped me to disengage from cable TV and the land line. I had planned to keep the internet, at least for a few weeks, but their company policy is that if you only have one type of service, you cannot get direct billing. I was disinclined to give them my debit card number, so I cancelled the whole shebang and was very glad that I had taken that copy of the death certificate. It came home with me and will be available for the next time I need to prove that Beloved can no longer be held to a given contract.

On Monday I will unplug the modem and take it to work with me and drop it off on the way home. No more collection calls for people who might have lived here sometime. That is what this woman calls one truly swell foop!

My new salad plates are out of the dishwasher and up on a shelf. I am thinking of making a run to a discount department store for which I have a gift card, to see if they might have a dozen napkins that would tone with the plates and everything else. I am also thinking of staying home, washing a couple loads of laundry, and putting in one of the movies we have, to see if it is a keeper or not. I can always stop at the department store after work next week. And I have spent quite enough money for one day.

Maybe I will bake a pan of cornbread and enjoy it with some of the buttermilk I brought home after work last night. So nice to have the evening ahead of me, a day of productivity behind me, and enough energy remaining to cross a few more items off my honey-do list.

No comments: