About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Adventure!

We had our doll Christmas party yesterday, and it was lovely and fun. Fourthborn made a diorama in American Girl scale from cardboard, paper, bamboo barbeque skewers, paint, hot glue, felt, and found materials. It is amazing.

I rose early and did the grocery shopping, primarily for what we would be taking to the ward party later in the day. A dozen cans of cranberry sauce (half of which are back on my shelf), six dozen dinner rolls, a Costco pumpkin pie, and another can of spray whipped cream. Getting those ingredients to the meetinghouse was a comedy of errors.

I hopped in the Tardis with the pie and the rolls, drove around the block, dropped that off, then remembered that I'd forgotten to grab the cream. Back home, back to the church, park in the no-parking zone by the kitchen door with my flashers on, drop off the cream, go home. Pull into the driveway, straighten the seat belt before closing the door, and discover the three bags of cranberry sauce in the rear footwell. Back to the church, parking in the fire lane again, without flashers this time. Come out to the Tardis. Won't start. Nothing. Not even clicking. Go back in the church, get a missionary and a high priest, who push the Tardis into a proper parking spot. Attempt to lock the truck. Nothing. Walk home.

Let the kids know that we will be walking to church and that I will attempt to get us a ride home. Call the mechanic. He says he doesn't know if the wrecker service is operating any more that day, but he will call. Call from Wrecker Dude. We agree that he will come pick up the Tardis this afternoon.

I've run out of time for a proper shower, so I rearrange my bun, wipe down any potentially stinky bits, and exchange my jeans for a skirt. We walk to church, taking a slight detour down the alley behind the house, where we discover that the number sign has fallen off the back fence and two of the numbers have fallen off of the sign. Middlest makes a note to deal with that in the next day or two. We make a course correction and arrive at church shortly after the opening prayer.

While there, I get into the library and make two sticky notes for the side windows of the Tardis so that nobody in the other ward will have a hissy fit to find my truck parked there overnight. I let my bishop know what's up. I arrange a ride home for us and a ride to church for me today. Also a ride tomorrow night to see The Forgotten Carols.

Still on my list: call a coworker who lives about a mile away to ask for a ride to work tomorrow. She normally rides the train in, but tomorrow she's guaranteed a parking spot (mine) if she drives in.

I'm hoping that the mechanical problem is a one-day fix and that it will cost less than the remaining wiggle room in my line of credit. If so, then this little speed bump is only an adventure. As my doctor remarked to me a couple of weeks ago, if something can be fixed with money, it's not really a problem. My tithes and offerings are current, so the Lord is free to bless me however and whenever He chooses.

I miss the days when I had two working vehicles. The Tardis is a 2003 and has been well maintained. Nevertheless, a second vehicle is now one or two notches higher on my honey-do list. I'm feeling peaceful about this situation and curious about how it will play out, but I can honestly say that I'm not worried. I'm just a little footsore and achy this morning.

No comments: