About Me

My photo
Five years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

There's been a lot of progress in the past week.

I was home again today, mostly resting. I've spent some time mucking off the fallow side of the bed, which tends to collect UFO's, books, mail to be read "later" that's more than junk mail but less than urgent. There is a rogue 4" DPN somewhere in my room. Best guess at this point, since I've searched my bag, my projects bags, the floor, and under everything that I've picked up (so far), is that it is lurking somewhere in the bedding, and I will find it (A) when I change the sheets or (B) when I roll over.

The first thank-you note is written.

Christmas was mostly wonderful. Mel and Squishy gave me the Shakespearean-inspired version of the first Star Wars movie (in the same vein as the Shakespearean version of A Christmas Carol, which I bought a few weeks ago and finished reading on Christmas Eve). And chocolate, of course.

My wonderful sister gave me a night light, with her usual impeccable timing, because the one that Middlest has been using in the middle loo has developed a glitch and needs to be replaced. Plus a bar of the most yummy lavender soap, which has pride of place in my loo, as both Middlest and Fourthborn are spectacularly allergic to lavender. And a boho necklace that I'm going to have to be creative in order to wear. It is massively heavy, and it pushes on the sides of my neck. I'm hoping that a loosely-fitted turtleneck top will provide just enough padding to eliminate the pressure without detracting from the lines of the necklace. It has three huge amethyst teardrops and lots of what looks like smoky quarts, and some hematite. It pleases me enormously. And it makes my neck scream that we're all gonna die. And I can't bear to give it away as I did the last necklace.

I cannot believe that I'm the same woman who wore chokers in the early 70's.

Secondborn and tribe gave me a refurbished Kindle, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I went online last night and got it registered and figured out the basics of how to use it and what not to do. They also gave me some sugar-free chocolate that actually tastes quite good.

LittleBit and 5BDH (that will take some getting used to, as does seeing her new, married name on Facebook) gave me a Winnie the Pooh cookie jar that he found somewhere (the man is a highly creative shopper) and filled with the thinnest, crispest gingersnaps.

I am pretty much in foodie heaven.

I finally connected with the staff of the doctor who attended me at the night clinic. The culture came back negative for infection. Which does not explain the ache in my back and the blood in my urine. I've got two more days of the antibiotic for my cellulitis, and I need to figure out how to get a doctor's note from my doctor (who is on vacation this week) or her partners so that I can go back to work, but I'm not really feeling as if I'm ready, and I can't explain that.

There's minimal discoloration in either ankle, and the swelling has pretty much disappeared. And I'm just. flippin'. tired. Not depressed. Not angry. But wiped out. Definitely something to discuss with my doctor once she's back in the saddle.

I need to go put my feet up, take my evening meds, and wait half an hour for my last dose of antibiotic today. Then rinse and repeat tomorrow. My day revolves around my antibiotics and fitting in sustenance around them.

No comments: