About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Monday, August 03, 2009

Samwise Gamgee

It occurs to me, after watching The Fellowship of the Ring, that Gandalf is not the only Christ-figure in LOTR. And that Sam is a nearly perfect example of Christian forbearance and forgiveness. Frodo wavers, under duress. Sam never does. He keeps his promise to Gandalf to keep Frodo safe, inasmuch as it is in his power, despite weariness and slander and heartbreak. He is like a [short, hairy-toed] stripling warrior from the Book of Mormon.

Sam is Everyman, serving the best he knows how. Like you. Like me. Knowing that he serves a cause far greater than himself. Knowing that it may cost him his life. And finding within himself a nobility and courage that are all the more profoundly moving for being wrapped up in such a seemingly ordinary and insignificant package.

Remember who you are.

And Whose.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

We watched Return of the King this weekend. How funny that we were both watcing LOTR, even three hours apart.

Sherry said...

Sam is one of my all-time favorite characters. I love your analysis of him. Thanks!

Kristen said...

Nice thought. Sam was my mother's favorite. And with Sean Astin playing him, he's even better.
I've wondered sometimes if Sam was stronger or purer than Frodo. I've Wondered, I don't know if it's true or not. Would Sam have borne it differently if he were the Ringbearer?

Tan said...

I just read Sean Astin's book about his part in making LOTR. He would be excited to see that you caught his vision. He was frustrated throughout the making of the movie that everyone saw Sam as just another stupid, bumbling hobbit, whereas the Tolkien character is a noble pillar of strength, if uneducated and unworldly.