About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, February 05, 2011

It even makes coleslaw!

I have been shredding this week. All of my business records from when I was an independent beauty consultant (skincare and makeup), and now my old payslips, some dating back to 2000, which was my first full year working for my current employer. It’s lovely to compare my yearly gross from as recently as five years ago with what I am making now as a legal secretary. I can easily see the fingerprints of Heaven all over this.

I listened to a lot of podcasts yesterday. I love David Reidy’s voice, so calm and thoughtful. It may not be the male voice I most wanted to hear (there was supposed to be a dance for the singles last night, but it was canceled because of the snow and ice); however, it was an acceptable placebo.

I am nearly done with another doll hat. I’m trying something a little different with the shaping of the crown: 12 wedges in this size, as opposed to 10, and I knitted the straight part a little longer in compensation. This might be done before breakfast, but if not, then shortly thereafter.

I may have gotten a bit of inspiration while I was puttering about yesterday. Snoods. Basically an oversize doily with a band around the perimeter to bring it in so that it corrals the hair and frames the face neatly. Middlest and Fourthborn, do you think there might be a market among the steampunk resin crowd for something like that? (Maybe attach a miniature watch face to the band, instead of a flower or beads or a bow?) I need to run that by Mel and Onna and see what they think, too.

I did a little research this morning on pricing and availability for the Lendrum wheel. More pages bookmarked in the Spinning folder.

I also priced little clear bags to hold the finished hats. I asked the ribbon vendor where she gets hers, and I checked out that site. Very reasonable. Now I just need to figure out the rest of the packaging, my business card, what colors to use, etc. I’m supposed to have dinner with Brother Sushi next Friday, and I need to have him translate the Japanese bits on the Noro ball-band so that when I finish writing my ad copy, it is as perfect as I can make it in terms of description and care instructions.

I am hungry enough that my thoughts are starting to skitter about like drops of water on a hot griddle. I should probably do something about that.

Oh, and I finished that bobbin of handspun that I started before Christmas. It’s awfully pretty, but I won’t know if it’s any good until I’ve washed it and set the twist. Meanwhile, I have a new bobbin started, which may or may not be the definition of insanity.

We have the adult session of stake conference tonight, and the general session tomorrow, and it will be lovely to get out of the house and get some spiritual nourishment before heading over to the new guy’s for TexMex and cheesecake. I am trying to prioritize properly and to be more excited about the former than I am about the latter. Sometimes I even succeed.

Breakfast. Breakfast would be good.

1 comment:

Robin MacAllister said...

Steam punk crowd might like snoods.. Think there might be a way to connect them to a large-ish headband that has the standard steampunk metalry coming off of it? I'm picturing a large maybe 3+" headband, with metalwork that spreads back off of it towards the hair, and a snood that comes down from under the metalwork, as the "ultimate" steampunk headpiece/snood. Unless your talking about dolls - then I'm out of my league :D But otherwise, I could definitely picture a snood working with that. Or hell, the more I think of it, the simple single bit of metalwork attached at the thin brim of a metallic-looking snood (gold metallic yarn- do they make that?) would work quite well.

Another crowd that likes snoods - renaissance fair goers :)