About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Friday, August 02, 2013

There was a girl who got a box.

And banjo was its name-o. B-A-N-J-O! B-A-N-J-O!! B-A-N-J-O!!! and banjo was its name-o.

Huge box. Huge. Tall. Wide. Awkward. Occupying about the same space as an eleven year old but significantly lighter in weight. Took me maybe five minutes to "walk" it from the front desk, through the office, to my own desk. Mellow wanted to be there for the box opening. SemperFi was at lunch. Turns out that I needed Mellow's help to get all the bubble wrap out and then hoist the banjo case up out of the box.

After work I ran it by Guitar Center to have it checked by the man who helped me find and purchase it. He says it's a good one. So today I can recycle the box and the bubble wrap. I offered some of the latter to SemperFi yesterday. We have a major trial coming up. He almost laughed.

It took most of my considerable self-discipline to focus on work for the rest of the day.

I suspect that lugging a banjo from point A to point B may be the only form of weight training I require for the next few weeks. In my other hand I held both my knitting bag (which contained the jacket, a pair of clogs, and three bottles of water) and my tote. It felt like a fairly balanced load.

Pausing to eat dinner was a burden. Bagel and a schmear while doing a bit of bookkeeping. Then banjo DVD for an overview until I could not keep my eyes open one minute longer. The walk back to my room woke me sufficiently to enjoy my scripture study.

And I made sure not to neglect Olive. The past several days I have just gone over the last lesson, trying to get the timing right on one of the melodies. Last night I went back to work on that pesky high E and maybe made a little progress. Maybe.

Major coughing spell this morning, but it didn't last long, and I seem to be breathing much more easily. Maybe I just needed to clear my carburetor?

Hoping for a productive day at work and an undemanding weekend. Mammogram tomorrow. And then a judicious mixture of knitting, puttering, and music.

DC al something or other.

No comments: