About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Saturday, November 29, 2008

ScarfWars2008 ... The Knitting Continues

I am amazed at how quickly a scarf knits up on 3.0mm needles if you have a good audiobook going. There’s no temptation to look up and watch the action for awhile, as there is when you’ve popped in a DVD.

I think one of the first things I will do when the scarf is done, is one of these. I’ve brought out the folk-art tree from the closet in my studio and am trying to figure out where to set it up.

And I will probably decorate the smaller, variegated ficus tree as well. The tall tree, 7’ high and bought when I lived in an apartment with 9’ ceilings, is thus quite happy with the 8.5’ ones here in the duplex, though it’s presently hiding out in the hall. I haven’t found where it wants to be on a permanent basis, so I roll it from one spot to another when I need to get at things.

As I type, one of those shrink-wrapped microwave potatoes is yodeling in the microwave. Mostly, they just sit there in prim silence and get cooked. Every so often I get one that wants to warble as it expires, like Mimi in La Bohème. This one sounds more like a Valkyrie that has fallen off its horse. It is not going gentle into that good night.

[Postscript: Mimi the Potato had no comment about being smothered in wasabi ranch dressing. Thought you’d like to know.]

I got up on the couch and tightened three light bulbs in the ceiling fan. [Yes, daughters, I braced myself with one hand against the top of the Queen Chair, just in case I got woozy from altitude.] I replaced one burnt-out bulb, and let there be light! Makes sitting on the couch, knitting while listening to Sticks and String, a whole lot more pleasant. I listened to his three most recent podcasts and then went back into the archives for his interview with Franklin Habit [episode 66].

@Francis, if your beloved is looking for a clean podcast with interesting essays and enjoyable music and hasn’t already discovered David, tell her I said she should check him out.

@Middlest, this is the Aussie bloke I told you about before you became a knitter in your own right. I know you’re with Aussie voices like I am with cops [ducking].

As of bedtime, something like 11:40pm because I got a nice nap mid-afternoon, there were 26.5” on the scarf, and I still hadn’t come to the end of the first ball of yarn, although it was somewhere between a tennis ball and a clementine in size. I am aiming for 48” to 54” total length, as 2BDH is considerably taller than I.

I think it’s reasonable to expect that I will have enough left for a smaller scarf for BittyBubba for Christmas. And I have something in mind for BittyBit, possibly from the same yarn I used for Secondborn’s scarf.

5 comments:

Tan said...

Knitting a mini-sweater might be the only way I will get one done.

Francis Shivone said...

Consider it passed...on, that is

Jenni said...

I made Derek change a lightbulb when we went to Tiff & Jason's the other evening.

Kristen said...

I love the mini sweater! I might give it a try. And the hat on the same post is a beauty. I wonder if I could manage that?

Francis Shivone said...

Also, those pictures look like the Eastside, yes/no?