About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, November 15, 2008

You know that feeling in the pit of your stomach?

The one that says you will not have enough yarn to finish your project? I went to grab another ball of yarn for when I ran out on the sleeve, thinking I would find several more balls this size [six or seven inches in diameter].



This is all I have left, posed for scale beside the Conference issue of the Ensign and the sleeve as it was when it was time to leave for work yesterday.



And while I was sorely tempted to knit blithely on, hoping that my yarn would miraculously replicate like the oil in the widow’s cruse, I remembered that at bind-off time for one of the fronts, there are something like 200 stitches on the needle, plus those two remaining raglan sleeve stitches.

So I grabbed the second ball of Koigu and my trusty 00’s, because the sock I had started on 0’s was suddenly looking airy. I frogged the first sock swatch and am letting the yarn rest awhile. Then I played with various pattern stitches before deciding that what I need, for the moment, is the simplest sock possible. I am letting the color do the talking on this one, and I am just knitting.

Yesterday I wrapped up my preparations to move from the front desk to my new cubicle in a quiet corner of the office. The mail room is stocked with labeled envelopes. There is paper for the fax machine in the cupboard under the scanner, and I’ve let her know that she will need to change out the toner cartridge the next time the red light comes on. I’ve learned that I can shake the cartridge gently and redistribute the contents and get more use out of it before it absolutely, positively has to be changed.

Another bonus of this move is that I no longer have to perform two adjunct tasks that I did not particularly enjoy; they are now the other admin’s responsibility.



I have two boxes sitting on or near my new desk and have already locked up the confidential stuff. I’ll find permanent places for everything on Monday morning or sometime next week, depending upon how my workload goes.

Last weekend was crazy-busy. I am looking forward to a quiet weekend at home. I think I can even get by until next weekend without doing any laundry! The Fixit Dude will be coming by to pick up the space heaters my friend loaned me before the fireplace was fully connected, and to measure the kitchen for new cabinets.

But the best part is that my best friend will be over later this morning, and we will get to visit. I am really looking forward to that.

I had dinner with Brother Sushi last night. We met up at the pancake restaurant and ate breakfast for dinner and talked for two hours. It was good. And we semi-finalized our plans for Thanksgiving dinner. He will call the Brazilian restaurant to see when they anticipate being the least crowded, and we will take it from there.

I have exchanged emails with Firstborn, and she knows that I will not be dining with them, but that I will be showing up to visit sometime that day. So I will not be cooking for Thanksgiving, at all, and part of me will miss that, but there’s always Christmas dinner. I suspect I might be in the mood to cook by then. Like the karma chameleon, the urge to cook up feasts comes and goes.

I think I want to do a little cooking this weekend, emphasis on little. Maybe a small batch of cookies to take with my lunches. Maybe that risotto I have been contemplating. Maybe I will put some six-grain cereal into the mini-crockpot tonight and wake up to whole-grain goodness and leftovers to take to work a few days next week. Definitely that Rocky Road cake; in fact if I start it now, it would be almost ready to eat when Best Friend gets here.

This weekend is all about home and hearth. Next Saturday is another dance for the singles. Brother Sushi will be the DJ, so no matter how boring and/or frustrating the actual dance is, at least the music will be good.

No comments: