About Me

My photo
Five years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Day Five

So, Monday was a painting and napping day. And Tuesday was a service and socializing day, with a side order of knitting. Wednesday morning I woke up about 4:15 and spent the early morning watching my library DVD’s. I put another couple of inches on the sleeves of Autumn Asters.

About 10:30 I threw on my painting clothes and scooted the bed out into the middle of the room so I could paint the south wall. I figured it would take a couple of hours, and I was not far off. I left the house at 12:45 and drove to Arlington to pick up Middlest so we could take my DVD’s back and pick up some large-print books for her dad, but mostly so she could see him again before she left for FernParts. [i.e., Virginia] I’m not sure why this wall went so much faster than the one I painted on Monday.

We (I) checked out five books for the children’s father. I am putting that receipt on the back of my front door and a note in my planner so the books get turned in [by somebody] by their due date. Had a somewhat bizarre conversation with him, in which he asked if there were any prospects and said that he wanted me to be happy and married, if not to him, then to some good man who deserves me. I told him I was not dating anybody, that there are no immediate prospects, and that as far as I am concerned, it falls under the important/not-urgent quadrant of my life.

I took Middlest over to Melis, where she discovered the bliss that is an aguacate torta. We noticed several sealed plastic bags, half-full of water with a submerged penny in each, suspended from the underside of the roof. Trainman is my local expert on hole-in-the-wall eateries; I followed him to Melis the night the children’s father had the first of his two most recent strokes, back in September. I texted Trainman, asking “Am @ Melis. 3 bags of h2o w water & penny hanging from roof. Any idea why?”

He responded, “Helps keep insects away from customers.”

To which I retorted, “Thanks. Somebody forgot to tell the flies. (Didn't know bugs had OLS. = Oh Look Shiny.)”

[Those pennies were nice and bright.]

Presidency meeting went well last night. One of my counselors was MIA, so I emailed her what we had come up with.

I woke up at 4:15 this morning ~ on purpose ~ so I could take Middlest to the airport. I do try to be there for the comings and goings. She sent the two stitcheries I made for her, and her framing certificate, home with me; I will ship them at a later date. Then I picked up a friend from church, and we went to Ol’ South for breakfast. I needed good company and comfort food.

And now I am home. It’s a hair after 9:00, and I am going to take a nap. My knee is tender from all the driving of the past three days, and I want to sleep off the carbs before throwing on my painting clothes and finishing my room.

I think it’s going to be another great day, especially once Middlest texts me to say that she’s safely in Virginia.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Thanks for taking the airport run this morning. It is turning into a hell of a day in the neighborhood. Love you. mean it!