About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I forgot all the good blog post titles.

Last night at Knit Night was livelier than usual, and my friend Jeri commented that I would be taking home many potential blog post titles. I’m sure they’re in here somewhere, but I suspect they’re all covered up with yarn, just like my couch.

I took an hour of comp time and half an hour of PT and skidded out of the office at 3:30 yesterday, heading straight for the little antique shop I like so well. I confirmed with the shop owner that Brother Sushi and I would be there the end of next week to pick up the bookcase that’s paid for. I also paid 60% down on another bookcase, which I’ll pay off when we pick up the first one. [As a repeat customer, I now get a 20% discount on all purchases.] This new one is very plain, wooden shelves and sliding glass doors, quietly crafted of mahogany; another antique from Scotland, as is the first. Fourthborn and Fiancé get first right of refusal on my MDF bookcases as each is emptied. I get real furniture for a price I can afford, and something beautiful is safe from the rubbish heap for another generation or two.

But wait, there’s more! I went to Pier One to look at the dresser I want. Still on closeout at 50% off. I asked if they would mind calling the store which is over here by me, which I knew was being closed, because the close-out stores have been offering an additional 20% off. Sadly, she told me that it was now officially closed. We looked in the computer to see how many dressers were still in stock at the distribution center, hoping it was something like 100.

Nine. “And you probably want a new one, right?”

I just laughed and told her I was doing shabby chic before it was chic, and that I certainly didn’t mind a ding or two. She said, “Well then, let’s go check it out, and if it’s acceptable in your eyes, I’ll give you another 15% off.”

After a cursory examination, I whipped out that debit card so fast it even made my head spin! Brother Sushi and I are both off work the end of next week, so we will be loading the case for the dresser, plus the two bookcases, into his truck, and I’m thinking we will put the drawers in my car, both for protection and to lighten the load a little. [Add glass panels to the fronts of four drawers, plus the top, and we are talking some serious avoirdupois-ness.] I might also see if the 14-year-old half of my home teachers is available for some heavy lifting, once we get back here.

I’m not sure if the dresser is going into my boudoir or into a corner of the living room. My French Parapluie-Revel poster would look fantastic hanging over it. And that might be a good place for the charging station I want to get soon. I’ll have to think about it. Wall outlets come two to a room, and I might just put that sideways on the TV stand, plugged into the second power strip since not everything is actually *on* at once. I have a healthy respect for my circuit breakers!

While I was in Arlington, I took back the defective DVD [Secondhand Lions, in the last scene, wouldn’t you know it?]; when I got home from Knit Night, I put in the DVD and watched that whole last scene, which was scratched in several places on the first one I bought. I also picked up August Rush, which Fiancé recommended and I totally loved. Snagged that for $5.99, and we opened up four copies before finding a used one in mint condition.

I’m learning.

Not much knitting yesterday, since I drove into work. I expect to have more progress to show you next time. But as I woke half an hour ahead of the alarm, I think I will go curl up on the couch for some power-knitting.

2 comments:

Rory said...

Offhand the only title I can recall clearly was "Bonding over protein". I don't know that it helps any.

Kristen said...

I'm glad you're getting your dresser! I passed on one several years ago because I didn't think I had the money - it was $249 half price - and I have been sad about it ever since. I'm glad you found a way to do it.