About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Day Three

Here’s what I accomplished yesterday. I found a box full of shelf organizers and tweaked the closet in my bathroom.



I painted the east wall in my bedroom. This is the wall where the bookcases will go, so it was the one which needed to be finished first. This is what it looked like about 4:30pm, after my paint-spattered, fragrant self had returned from the library and the drive-up window at the bank.



Between the library and the bank, I also found myself in the drive-through at Jack in the Box, where an Oreo cookie shake inexplicably materialized in my car. By the time I was home with my deposit receipt, all those carbs were screaming “Naptime!” Unfortunately, this is what the bed looked like.



So I did what any sane woman would have done: I cleared off the bed and took a three and a half hour nap. And then I drove to the home center and bought another roller, because the first one had been worked to death. Before it expired, it leapt repeatedly off the roller frame in lemming-like despondency. [Childbirth words might have been heard in the vicinity.]

When I got home, I nuked leftovers from yesterday, promptly giving my circuit breaker a fit of the vapours. Apparently I am not supposed to enjoy a hot dinner and a cool me at the same time?

And then I curled up on the couch with a DVD from the library, and my knitting, because the websites all concur that I must wait 24 hours before doing the faux-finishing. The knitting stayed in my lap, almost unexamined; this was, after all, The Music Man. I grew up on the Robert Preston version, and I had my doubts about a remake. But Matthew Broderick is very graceful, and by the end of the movie he had won me over. I will always prefer Preston’s deeper voice; however, Broderick is a worthy successor. I could not have imagined anyone other than Shirley Jones as Marian, but much as I love her voice, I find that I prefer Kristin Chenoweth’s warmer tone.

It is now 1:26am, and I am sleepy again. In six and a half hours, I will pick up one of my church girlfriends. We are heading over to spend some time serving in the temple. I plan to base-coat at least one more wall after I get home, and before Knit Night. And then I could faux-finish all three walls tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I haven't seen the new Music Man. Ash and I will have to check that out.