About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Day One

Sewed snaps between the buttons on my black linen-blend tunic, thereby eliminating gaposis.



Stitched up the L-shaped tear on my black dancing skirt, where it caught under my rolling chair at work. Embroidered flowers over the mending stitches, using the black rayon floss leftover from my ladybug bell pulls. [It is now apparent that the mending stitches were done with the deepest midnight blue thread. But as this skirt is no more to be subjected to the savage whims of my rolling chair, and as the church dances are gently lit, you and I are the only ones who will know.]



Hung up the thread racks in my studio. Yes, that is an angel bear finial on top of my lamp. I think it is the one with the broken-off foot.



Found a spare dowel and threaded it through two spools of ribbon. There are more spools squirreled away in boxes in my studio. When I find them, they will join their cousins.



No extra charge for the yarn sample card from Brooks Farm Yarns in Lancaster. Amazing yarns. Genius colorways. I meant to buy some at the D/FW Fiber Fest back in April, only I ended up not going. They’re definitely on my list, as is Buffalo Gold, now that I’ve seen and touched it.

I watched Persuasion 1.9 times yesterday. [One cannot have too much Jane Austen.] I also fiddled with Autumn Asters, establishing the beginnings of the sleeve increases before frogging the other sleeve back. I must say, this soft yarn frogs much better than I would have thought. This is the third colorway on this particular section, and the yarn is only a little rumpled.

I took BestFriend to breakfast at Ol’ South. I had the German pancake, of course, and she had bacon, eggs, and toast, with a bite of my pancake before I got started. Good times! I am so thankful she is part of my life; it is all too easy to let friendships slide when ward boundaries change and you no longer see each other at church on Sundays and Wednesday nights.

I did another drive-by fooding of the elders. Yay for Little Caesar’s! They got two pizzas, and I kept one.

And then I came home and freshened up a little and went to a baptism. She has a very tender conversion story, but it’s not mine to tell. As Relief Society president, it is my blessing and privilege to attend the baptism of any adult sister and welcome her to the largest and oldest women’s organization in the world.

Afterward, some of us went across the street to Braum’s. I was not particularly hungry; pizza will do that, even though I had only eaten two slices. But I had a bowl of ice cream, and I sat across the table from a young couple in our ward and got to know them better. What a pleasure to see how much they like, respect, and enjoy one another.

This evening we are getting together at or near Firstborn’s house for a farewell picnic for Middlest. I had promised to make brownies, but when I got to my neighborhood Wal-Mart after the baptism and the ice cream, I discovered that that particular store was no longer carrying the four-packs of brownie mix. So I went over to the refrigerated section and picked up two packages of Brownie Bites. I took the second half of the first package out of the oven about 15 minutes ago. [I think I will save the second package to bake up and nibble on during the coming week.]

I need to leave for church in an hour, and I need to go read my Relief Society lesson. And I probably ought to grab some breakfast while I’m at it, as well as toss a couple of cheese sticks into my bag for between meetings. And grab my cell phone from the charger.

No comments: