About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Remember the red candlesticks?

And the pink ones? And the brass ones? And the bobeches? All heading out the door this morning, except for the candleholder which Brother Sushi gave me. I sorted two more boxes last night and another just now. Most of the contents were intact, although a large ceramic Christmas tree that I picked up at JoAnn’s or Pier One had quietly smithereened itself.

Most of my spare linens (tablecloths, placemats, napkins for the most part) have been repacked into two short Rubbermaid tubs and are now reposing on the bottom shelf of the sofa table in my studio, with the tub of pencil roving on top of them. Before I refill any more tubs, I will label these three. At this writing I have 19 cardboard boxes left to examine [some of which are quite small and will be quick work], and 9 more storage tubs. More or less. I haven’t had breakfast yet, and my counter may need to be reset.

I ate too much at lunch yesterday. We went to Mama’s Daughters’ Diner for our Thanksgiving luncheon, and I had the meatloaf, mashed potatoes (they do them well), glazed carrots, peach halves, all of which I ate about half of, and dessert (which I ate all of). Dessert was funny: I asked for the coconut pie. We had gotten there at 1:30, so they were out. I asked for the apricot crumb thingie. They were out. So I just grinned at our waitress and said, “Surprise me. I know it will be good.” Her face lit up, and she brought me the banana pudding.

My faith was not misplaced. I’ll eat the rest of lunch at work today and wish that I had saved half of my dessert.

Took two books to Half Price Books last night and brought home two more: The Five Love Languages and The Life of Pi (hardcover, illustrated) I read the former, at my friend Todd’s suggestion, back when I was dating NintendoMan. The new guy just finished reading it, and I think it will make for some good, substantive discussions.

I woke an hour ahead of the alarm this morning, which was a good thing, because I had forgotten to set it. We can blame that on the food-hangover, or possibly on the dust from all the stuff I’m unpacking and sorting.

We will probably get to go home an hour early today. My current plan is to head straight for a theatre and catch a twilight showing of “Tangled.” I have not wanted to actually spend money to see a movie in months and months and months. This one looks good. In the meantime, there are two boxes to break down and another to put in the car for a quick run to the thrift store (there’s one not too far from my health club; it’s not the one I usually patronize, but it supports a cause I respect, and it’s not out of the way this morning).



It’s going to be a great day. I feel it in my bones.

No comments: