About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Yesterday was great!

I spent a couple of hours, off and on, in the kitchen. When I was done, I had three cooked chicken breasts, a pot of Texmati rice, and 2.5 quarts of chicken broth leftover. I took my friend half of one of those chicken breasts, chopped/shredded, over a bed of rice, with some marinated mushrooms and a splash of marinade. No idea how it tastes, because I threw together a salad, did a drive-by fooding, cooed at her new baby, and headed to Arlington for the single adult mini-conference.

As always, Brother Sushi and his elegant sisterly counterpart (I used to have a code name for her, but I’ve forgotten it; Firstborn, she taught Gospel Doctrine in your ward and has the same given name as Fourthborn) made the impossible look easy. She gave the first presentation and called several of us up out of the audience to share our experiences. Yes, that would include me. Then we moved to the chapel, as we had filled the Primary room to overflowing, where we heard from the good brother in Plano stake who is a licensed professional counselor and such a dynamic and enjoyable speaker, finishing up with a member of the Arlington stake presidency.

And because we are singles, there was food for the body, as well as for the heart, mind, and spirit. Tons of it. If anybody went home hungry last night it was their own fault.

I stayed for the dance, because my favorite DJ was in charge. All those bits that the massage therapist worked on so diligently Wednesday night, which have given me not a squeak of trouble since then? They were yodeling to beat the band last night. And I am distinctly stiff, though not what I would call in pain, this morning.

I finally found out who is DJ’ing at the dance in Denton on Friday night. Same DJ, so I am definitely going. I wonder if I can squeeze in another massage between now and then?

In knitting news, I have a bit more than one repeat to go on BittyBubba’s gift. I should make significant progress on that today. Possibly even complete it, as I have a whole bunch of podcasts on the iPod, and if I can keep my eyes open after church I will just knit-knit-knit until it’s done. [I got lots of compliments on it yesterday, and not just from the other knitters and crocheters. There were four or five of us, most of them sitting on my row. Woohoo!]

I remembered to pick up graham crackers for my Primary class. This is the part where I run the lesson material across my retinas, print off coloring sheets, pray, and hope for the best.

The new guy starts chemo on Friday. I’m a lot less nervous about that than I was about the surgery. So maybe I can get more into actual lesson preparation, for next week’s lesson, but I do not feel the slightest bit guilty about skimping on this week’s. I have tried to stay in Mary-mode all week. Martha-mode will get its own turn, soon enough.

He went home from the hospital yesterday! They had told him three to five days, and he did it in two.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

New guy is an overachiever, recovering so fast. That's great! Were the oohs and aahs because you're such an amazing knitter, or because people recognized the stealth project for what it was, or both?

Jenni said...

The sister you refer to is my VT.