About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Monday, October 05, 2009

54 friends, but who’s counting

That was as of bedtime last night. [56 confirmed at 5:19am, and 26 pending, and I’m only linked to a smidgen of the folks in my ward at this point.] I need to tweak how Facebook notifies me via email. Takes me forever to sort through all those emails and respond appropriately. Am hoping they have a daily digest thing.

I put about 3” on my sister’s present yesterday, but after a good night’s sleep, I don’t know. It was good Conference knitting but may not be special enough for her.

Went to bed about 9:30 last night. [No nap yesterday afternoon.] I am right on the cusp of “enough sleep / too much sleep”; should make for an interesting day, if I can figure out what my hands want to create, when I’m on the train and on break at work.

I tried one of the recipes from Real Simple yesterday ~ sort of. I was in the mood for Cream of Wheat, so I cooked it in milk, with a smidgen of cinnamon and the last of the geriatric brown sugar. I forgot to stir in the dried fruit: snippets of apricots in the original, should have been cranberries for me. [And the nuts: why is everybody else so crazy about walnuts? They seem to be the first to go rancid on me, though I don’t mind them if they’re very fresh. Pecans are way better! So are almonds! Oh by the way, that almond gelato I picked up at Town Talk last weekend, is to die for!] I made enough cereal for at least one more breakfast, two for sure if I remember the fruit and the nuts.

It’s not even time for breakfast, and I would kill bruise somebody severely for a carrot stick about now. Makes no sense at all, even to me. The closest I can get at the moment, is a mini-pizza on an English muffin with chêvre, which I think I will do while the tub fills. So while you are eating your Wheaties, I will have the UN duking it out in my gizzard.

I am thankful for General Conference this weekend. I really needed that time to ponder and pray, though I am still somewhat amazed that “Facebook” was one of the inspirations I got! I dozed off repeatedly during yesterday afternoon’s session but managed to wake up long enough afterward to make a quick trip to the Bitties’ and also check on the children’s father.

I wish I could get him to stop calling me “honey” and “love”, but he’s pushing 70, and old habits die hard. [I wish he had been this attentive during the last years of our marriage, but that’s another story.]

Happy thoughts. We need happy thoughts. OK, here’s one: my youngest grandchild still fits neatly on my shoulder, and he grinned at me in his sleep. And another: there is chocolate in my fridge. And another: I know what I’m going to wear when my attorney-friend’s idea of Brother Right shows up in the office for his day in court. Need more? Dinner this coming Friday with Brother Sushi, on his nickel this month. And a return-and-report from Trainman on his visit to the Hawaiian BBQ. [Oh man, now I want some of that macaroni salad!]

Happy Monday, everybody!

2 comments:

Jenni said...

So jealous that you got time with the kids and I was doing other things all weekend.

Bonnie said...

It was nice to see you on Sunday. You can have a carrot stick (or 5) if you come to see me again.