About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

What a kalamata! Hummus have pita on me.

Why all the Mediterranean food puns? [Alison is not the only one around here who loves bad (good!) puns.] Because I couldn’t halvah myself. At least I’m not serenading y’all with “Ha(l)va(h) Nagila”!

This would maybe explain why spanakopita makes me happy, both in the making of it and in the eating. I have been incorporating more nuts into my diet; I like to dip tart crisp apples in hummus, and I am firmly convinced that on the Eighth Day, baklava was invented. Possibly even before dark chocolate! Or cinnamon toast.

About a dozen years ago, I started checking cookbooks out from the library. [I wasn’t particularly interested in actually cooking anything; I just read them for inspiration.] And I remember reading that if you take the new, improved Food Triangle and drizzle a little olive oil on it, you will have a nearly perfect diet for nearly everybody.

Why am I suddenly craving dolmas? Hava neranenah ve nis’mecha [let’s sing and be happy]!

Works for me.

No comments: