About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

What a kalamata! Hummus have pita on me.

Why all the Mediterranean food puns? [Alison is not the only one around here who loves bad (good!) puns.] Because I couldn’t halvah myself. At least I’m not serenading y’all with “Ha(l)va(h) Nagila”!

This would maybe explain why spanakopita makes me happy, both in the making of it and in the eating. I have been incorporating more nuts into my diet; I like to dip tart crisp apples in hummus, and I am firmly convinced that on the Eighth Day, baklava was invented. Possibly even before dark chocolate! Or cinnamon toast.

About a dozen years ago, I started checking cookbooks out from the library. [I wasn’t particularly interested in actually cooking anything; I just read them for inspiration.] And I remember reading that if you take the new, improved Food Triangle and drizzle a little olive oil on it, you will have a nearly perfect diet for nearly everybody.

Why am I suddenly craving dolmas? Hava neranenah ve nis’mecha [let’s sing and be happy]!

Works for me.

No comments: