About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Friday, October 16, 2009

When in Rome...

Have you ever wondered how [or if] the Romans pronounced Roman numerals? All these years, and I never thought to wonder until now. I somehow doubt that they said icks for the number 9.

You know that I love Anne Perry’s work nearly as much as Orson Scott Card’s. Here is a link to her latest Letter from the Highlands on Meridian.



You also know that I am an exceedingly amateur photographer. I look at BrooklynTweed’s photography of his knitting designs, or ThePanopticon’s, and I just sigh. I’m not a big fan of the great outdoors, or natural light [one look at my shins, if I ever revealed them, would tell you this].

I used three settings on my rookie-proof digital camera to photograph this swatch. The ones with my flash were overexposed and bleagh, and you couldn’t see the individual stitches. Here I got down on my knees by my bed and attacked from the side.

At least now you can see how beautiful and crisp those cables are, even if the lace does not show up in either photograph. And you can see how even the plain stockinette stitches are, and the wonderful relief in the knit-purl section.



I truly, madly, deeply ♥ this yarn. To the point where I could see myself not-buying-dolls long enough to save up and order two full bags of it [20 balls] to make a sweater in human scale. Or maybe that will be my treat when I get my bonus next year.

What’s on the agenda, you ask? A mental health day; I love that I get three weeks of vacation every year. I slept in until 7:15 (I know!) and am about to put on my jeans and my painting shirt or something equally disreputable.

I think there will be some furniture-shoving here in the living room, and possibly in my studio as well. There will be a modicum of dusting. The Swiffer is going to get a workout. I am going to set my ladybug kitchen timer for varying amounts of time and see if I can beat the clock.

There will be frequent knitting breaks to reward myself. Cookie dough will mysteriously vanish. I might even go so far as to connect the scanner to the computer and the VCR/DVD player to the TV, though that might be pushing things, and I might leave that for Trainman or Brother Sushi the next time one of them is here.

I am also going to study my Relief Society lesson and my Sunday School lessons for this weekend, but mostly I am going to be an avocado all day. [i.e., incommunicado] No email, no cell phone, no Facebook until I am once more pleased with my surroundings, and myself.

Later, gators!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I'm glad that you were able to enjoy your day AND get so much accomplished.