About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

In which your intrepid heroine falls asleep during the monthly staff meeting.

It ran long. Two point four hours, to be precise, and somewhere in the middle I was just gone. I fought it and fought it, but when I awoke, it was to discover the office manager beholding me with polite vexation.

I’m truly sorry. She doesn’t want me to knit in the meetings; she thinks it’s rude, and they’re her meetings. 99.9% of me is fully supportive of that. The one-tenth of one percent of me which is not, is unfortunately quite visible, as it’s located midway up my face.

I’m using my CPAP, I got to bed at a decent hour on Tuesday night, and I’m trying to eat sensibly. Though it was really hard to do with all this to tempt me.



And more food.



I’ve already learned to great chagrin that I can’t stay out dancing until all hours if I have a 7:00am correlation meeting at church the next day. All those candles burnt at both ends and sometimes in the middle, when I was in my 20’s, are paying me back now that I’m in my late 50’s. I was sitting at Knit Night, put my knitting into my bag, and immediately wilted. It was if somebody had turned off the master switch.

I dozed off at switchboard a couple of times when I was covering the receptionist’s lunch hour. Finally I stood up, did some stretches, a few slow yoga moves in the chair, refilled the paper tray in the fax machine, did some more stretches, visualized world peace, read the in-house propaganda publications, stretched some more, played some FreeCell.



But I’m awake now. And I’ve got my eye on you.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I think part of it is the weather because I have been dead tired all week. I fell asleep in my Economics class several times last night and the girl next to me had to nudge me awake.