About Me

My photo
Five years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Saturday, December 03, 2016

The itching has subsided.

The swelling has not, entirely, but my ankles no longer look sunburned.

We've had a good day. I pre-washed the quilt fabric last night before going to bed. Woke up once during the night and felt the fabric before going back to bed. It was still somewhat damp, so I must not have been asleep all that long. When I awoke at a proper hour this morning, all the bits were nicely dried and ready for pressing.

Firstborn and Fourthborn checked in at the quilt shop, then came over here to visit for a bit while Middlest and I worked on our blocks. They left, we left, and a day-long series of errands began. First we picked up our new blocks. Then we went to Costco by way of Tuesday morning and Ross, looking for a new duvet cover for Middlest. I also found a bowl that is the perfect size for the centerpiece on the dining room table. Picture to follow, eventually. We are still decorating the tree, and the table is covered with storage tubs and half-emptied containers.

We got out of Costco under $100, always a win in this woman's book, and drove up the road to Daiso, a Japanese store that opened recently in Plano. There are a handful of them scattered around the Metroplex. Scored four chairs and a table in Chutzpah size.

On our way home, we stopped at the consignment store where Fourthborn and I discovered "the slutty pig" a couple of years ago. It still has not sold, but the Mardi Gras beads that had been draped around its neck ~ and inspired its name ~ are gone. The pig is every bit as charming as when I first saw it, priced at $895. (I know!) Picture a finely carved carousel animal, complete with saddle, but mounted on rockers and beautifully painted. I was amused to see that the price tag had been marked up to $998 and then lined through and marked $750.

The food is put away. I've eaten my leftovers for dinner, followed by rather too many ginger cookies washed down with buttermilk. Middlest has polished off the last dab of eggnog, which was necessary in order for me to have room to stash the buttermilk in the door of the fridge. We have wrangled the duvet into the duvet cover, and Middlest is settling down for the night. I'm about ready for that myself, but I have to clear a bunch of purchases off the bed first. I don't want to risk any of them crashing to the floor in the middle of the night.

Hoping for some solid sleep and a restful Sabbath tomorrow.

No comments: