About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Tympannic Tuesday

Actually, it wasn't drums, just my heart going bangety-bangety-bang when the smoke detector started hollering "fire! fire! fire!"

First good thing: the smoke detector works, and if I had been asleep, it would have awakened me.

Second good thing: it was overreacting. There was no fire, just a bit of smoke from a burner on high. Actually, four burners on high, simultaneously, and the oven set to 450F because I was trying to cremate a roach that skittered down into the burner well when I missed smashing it. Haven't seen one of those in-house since I moved out of apartments eight years ago. It shall not live to reproduce.

Third good thing: I figured out how to shut up the smoke detector. Middlest slept through all the excitement, which suggests that earplugs were firmly in place. Otherwise I would be calming my kid down from an apocalypse-level panic attack.

Fourth good thing: I got my heart rate up into the target range while scrambling for the stepstool.

Fifth good thing: there is Christmas chocolate to calm my jangled nerves.

Sixth good thing: I am now very, very awake, and I do believe I'll knit another row (or twelve) on the Geology Shawl.

Middlest and Squishy hung out today. Middlest's school registration complications have all been unscrambled, and both of them sweetly insisted that I open my present from Mel and Squishy: two fair-trade chocolate bars and a really cool plate with a sheep on it. I went looking for the smaller of my wooden plate stands, and it is in use, so I will have to swing by Hobby Lobby and pick up another one. Picture later; phone is sulking in its charger.

I have no idea where my deer corn foot warmer has gotten to. It was in bed with me last night and is nowhere to be found. There are a lot of things in my room, but I didn't think a black hole was one of them.

I have done something to my right shoulder / upper arm. It happened at work this afternoon, and I noticed it just before quitting time. It's not terribly painful, but it twinges when I am leaning on it as I roll into bed, or when I push a shopping cart. I'm hoping that rest will take care of it. My grip strength is unaffected, so I'm pretty sure it's muscular rather than vascular or neurological. Seventh good thing: it doesn't hurt when I knit.

And on that happy note, I'm taking my cold feet and warm heart to bed.

No comments: