About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Lawwwwyer, you got me on your fees

Alison’s comment was too good not to recycle as a title: Lawwwwyer, you got me on your fees, lawyer. Darlin’ won’t you please, lawyerrr. You know that I love a good (bad) pun as much as the next ma’am!

The Clapton CD goes all the way back to his days with Derek and the Dominos, Blind Faith, and Cream. There are songs there, big hits for him/them, that I’ve never heard, presumably because I was mired in the 17th century with the children’s father? Promises takes me back to the thrilling days of codependency, when all that I wanted was for him to love me as he did when we were first married. [The children’s father. Not Eric Clapton. Just in case you were confused.] Infectious, rollicking tune about the futility of some forms of love and/or entanglement. I’ll finish listening to that CD on my way to work today. And then it’s on to a Diana Krall that I didn’t have.

After work, I headed straight to the chapel to insert five coins into each of the bags I made. Several people very kindly offered to help. I just smiled and told them that I needed to do something mindless and quiet at the end of the day, and that filling bags with little plastic coins meant I didn’t have to do any of the heavy lifting in the cultural hall (gym).

And when I did go in, I got roped into the second run-through of the rehearsal for the program tomorrow night. I sang alto when I could, and soprano when I didn’t know or had forgotten the alto line. Since I never know on any given day if I’m going to be a soprano or an alto, it’s useful to know both parts, and to have memorized most of the hymn texts, so that I can focus on finding the right note or coming up with a plausible alternative.

It’s fair to say that I warble to the beat of a different larynx.

We are having another lunch-and-a-movie today. I looked at the menu and decided that paying $10 or more for an alligator sandwich was not my idea of a Real Good Time. Though it will be fun watching everybody else eat, while I eating something boring and conservative and frugal. [I takes me fun where I finds it.]

We get to wear Christmas-themed garb to work today (not that folks have not been hauling out the Christmas sweaters or tucking a red sweater-vest between the dress shirt and the topcoat). Last night before bedtime, I walked in the door to my studio, around the end of my work table, and to the closet, pulling out (A) my Santa-embroidered linen-blend shirt, which needed a button three buttons sewn on; and (B) a J. Peterman batik caftan which will be my costume tomorrow night, now that I have re-sewn the facing at the neck. [My wise men made a little detour through Java before finding the Holy Land; sorry about yours!] I was supposed to come up with a costume that looks vaguely 1-A.D.ish. You know me: it is more along the lines of 1-ADDish.

Elsewhere in my studio, I also found (C) the box which contained a card of shell buttons in the right size. One of which I broke while attempting to wrangle it free from the staple connecting it to the card. So the new buttons are in place on my Santa shirt, and the button card will go out to the recycling bin on my way to Lorelai this morning. There was a minute stain above the pocket, which I have spot-cleaned and mostly gotten out. I have an angel pin that I can put over the oops, for today, and once the holidays are over I can do more redwork embroidery if the stain does not come out in the wash. When the day comes that the shirt is utterly unwearable, I will carefully cut out the Santa and build a pillow front around him.

I think I am finally tired enough to go back to sleep. Happy Friday, everybody!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Some days I can barely follow your train(s) of thought. Not a bad thing per se, just stating. I hope you have a great day today. I love you.