About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Good day, sunshine!

There's your earworm for the evening. I slept in until 6:30, ate a reasonable breakfast, quilted like a madwoman, and went to lunch with the widows and widowers group. I saw a friend from my singles activities days. We hadn't seen one another face to face in at least 15 years, so it was great to spend time together and catch up.

On the way home, I picked up two cases of bottled water (our city water tastes of lake, and a Brita pitcher doesn't entirely do the job) and more guacamole. Because we were nearly out of both. I got a text message from the pharmacy: do you want us to refill this? Yes, please, that one significantly enhances the quality of my life. Shortly, I got another text that it was ready to pick up.

So I put my shoes back on, grabbed two bags of books to take to Half Price Books (including the meh biography of Porter Rockwell), and fired up the Tardis. There were two cars ahead of me at the pharmacy window, and I must have waited 15 minutes for the first car to get their stuff and go, two or three for the car ahead of me, and maybe five minutes for my own prescription. They must have been short-handed, because I've never had that long a wait before.

From there I drove to HPB, wrangled two full paper grocery bags with failing handles into the store, and browsed happily for twenty minutes while they sorted and evaluated the books of several people who were ahead of me in line.

Funny how twenty minutes sitting in line at a drive-thru is lengthy (especially without phone or knitting), but twenty minutes in a bookstore goes justlikethat. I came home with a biography of Elsa Schiaparelli and a book promising 100 unforgettable dresses (including the one that Carol Burnett wore in her Gone with the Wind parody).

And then I made a batch of mashed potatoes and split it with Middlest, who is still adjusting to the Ritalin and currently trying to sleep off the Two Month Migraine.

I've ordered four pairs of doll shoes from Mint on Card; they should arrive in a week to ten days.

And I've made still more progress on The Albatross. It's amazing what I can get done if I'm well rested and have two or three hours of focused effort.

I just realized that my (bare) feet are freezing, and that I needed to switch the AC over to heater mode. I am going to have to hunt up my deer corn bag and nuke it before I climb back into bed in a few minutes. I took a nap after all the running around was done, with the alarm set to wake me for my evening meds, and it's 40F outside. I'd like to dunk my feet in a vat of hot chocolate, but the heated bag of deer corn seems a much more socially responsible solution.

Night, y'all.

1 comment:

andrea said...

You have a drive through pharmacy. Wow. I would love that. Then I could sit in my car knitting while I wait instead of having to stand in a queue waiting.