About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The one we had to throw back.



Behold the 7” striped bass, or striper. One of my friends misread it and thought I had caught a 7’ stripper. No, we would have thrown her back even faster!

I took this one shortly before we headed back to the boat ramp. People zipping back and forth across the bridge, not sitting in a boat with a really great guy. [Funny story: we pull into a gas station on the way to the lake so he can get some minnows. Truck pulls out while he’s inside, two guys with a trailer and cement-working tools, and the guy in the passenger seat gives me a dirty look. I just smile back sweetly behind my shades.]



May I just say that I am now a true believer in SPF45. I did not even turn pink after 4+ hours out on the water. It was a really great day, even if my sneakers now smell like lake water. I have rinsed them, and they are drying out in the shower.

I did ask the new guy if there were still two petri’s in the experiment. His response? A somewhat flustered, “Umm, yeah, I think so.” The look on his face was priceless.

But we are going fishing again. And maybe next time I will catch more than a too-small striper or the anchor rope. He caught two drums, or possibly the same drum twice. (Trash fish, not musical instruments.)

The knitting went along, but I didn’t touch it, except to move it out of the way, until I got home and took a nap. As of this moment, I am ready to graft the hatband and start picking up stitches for the sides and crown.

Life is good.

1 comment: