About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Stealthy. Like a ninja. [Or not.]

The most recently completed stealth project is blocking as we speak. Lark’s birthday scarf is a little over 80% complete. I dropped off the Bittiest’s present very late on Saturday night, after a full day of to-ing and fro-ing. No word as yet on how he likes it. He’s two. He definitely has opinions; I just can’t understand him [yet] when he expresses them, if they are positive ones. As his is the second Gryffindor scarf, I’ve saved pictures of it, and his brother’s, for a single post after BittyBit’s birthday in late December.

Saturday went very well, until the end. The graveside service was sweet and reverent, and I was honored to have been invited. From there I went to my bank, listened to the three options that will be available to me, and chose Door #2. Same services I have now, a couple of additional ones, still at no cost to me, and no change of account name or number. Basically, banking life goes on as before; they just call my account something new. Fine; I’m glad we have that settled. And then to NailDude’s; he made my hands look respectable again.

The session with the biofeedback machine was interesting. Basically, I am sensitive to nearly everything that goes into my mouth, either because of what it is, or because I lack the enzymes to digest it. My enzymes must have run away to Club Med with my marbles. I will get the PDF of my printout in the next couple of days. Then we can all sit down and have a good chuckle about it.

I was tired, a little hungry, and slightly cranky when I got home. Ate my leftovers from Friday night and took a nap. Woke up in time to print off the Primary lesson and run it over to my co-teacher’s[!!!] house, as she has no printer. Did some grocery shopping. One last run through the drive-thru at In N Out until I get my digestive system sorted out. And then home, to find two emails which just struck my last nerve. Hence the post on Facebook at 1:00am yesterday, channeling Dorothy Parker.

More on that later. Am having dinner with my friend J tonight, and the subject of those emails will be one topic of discussion. As it will be when I have breakfast with the new guy tomorrow.

But back, briefly, to the topic of Saturday’s biofeedback analysis. Years of marriage to the children’s father have made me wary of any business which offers me something for free. [See dealing with my bank, above.] I was reasonably sure that the person offering the free analysis had some way to profit from it, eventually. I was right. There are supplements, enzymes, etc. There are optional treatments, which are not free. I came home intrigued, but also looking at it with love and suspicion as my father would say.

When I was describing the testing to my friend who is a retired nurse, and gave her the Readers’ Digest version of the sensitivity/digestion issues, she exclaimed, “You’ve got no enzymes!” so I felt better about that. I had been reminding myself that to him who holds a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. Or words to that effect. And it had just seemed a little too convenient that spending X a month on enzymes would go a long way toward solving my problem.

What seems reasonable to me, is to begin an elimination diet, eating only the foods that are on my safe list for a couple of weeks, to see if I feel any better. And then to gradually reintroduce foods which are on my safe-if-I-take-enzymes list, which would give me a somewhat greater range of options. I have not yet bought the enzymes, but she did send me home with a sample.

I am not starting said elimination diet until after I have had breakfast with the new guy tomorrow morning. Don’t know if I will have the printout at that point.

But in the meantime, I don’t ever have to eat watermelon again, or cashews. Sadly, broccoli is not on the list.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled knitting.

No comments: