About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

For those of you who are local...

... and will not be watching [or attending] General Conference this weekend, the Lincoln 200 Festival continues at the Fort Worth Public Library. On Saturday morning at 11:00, a Lincoln impersonator will be performing at the Southwest Regional Library. He will perform again at 2:00 with his wife.

This is one of those times when I wish I could clone myself, because I think I would enjoy both performances. However, I will be watching General Conference and taking notes [when I am not knitting].

There has been sewing, chez Ravelled. This is the necktie skirt, assembled but for one seam and awaiting embellishment.



The next step will be to pull out my collection of embroidery floss and work crazy-quilt stitching along each seam line. The reason is twofold: (1) a love of handwork and (2) additional reinforcement of the seams. Here is a regrettably blurry detail shot of the buttonhole stitch “serging” which I worked along the raw edges of each seam.



It was easier and certainly more portable than hauling out my serger, and more than adequate for the gentle use which this skirt will receive, especially once there is the additional layer of embroidery stitches. If I were to make this commercially, I would of course use my serger.

There are two hem facing pieces which I have yet to cut out; each is half the width of the skirt, and curves to fit. And I will probably line the skirt as well, if I can find a tissue-weight silk broadcloth in a compatible color. I may just go with a tulle underskirt. Though it might be fun to have some of my tatted lace peeking out under the hem. One step at a time. I am happier with designing when I relax and let the work flow, rather than trying to force the process.

I will be very surprised to be at Knit Night tonight. I need to drive up to the Bishop’s Storehouse and pick up a food order for one of the lambs at church. If I can take a couple of hours of PT and hit the Storehouse as soon as the doors open, I might be able to do both. Plus, I need to go by my bank and deposit the reimbursement for the food which I bought for the service project last Saturday. [And I need a manicure, and my bangs are in my eyes.]

It was very pleasant to spend a quiet evening at home. I didn’t pick up the doll sweater, preferring to stitch away on the skirt, but I’ve added several rows to the left front this morning. I think it will be a very Norolicious sweater when I’m done. I may need to set the sweater aside for a couple of days, because I have two granddaughters’ birthdays coming up in the next week and a half, and I need to get cracking! I think a scarf for Willow, who is out of state; I have some lovely nobbly fat green yarn that would make a thick, soft scarf for a college girl. And maybe some fingerless gloves for Lark. Willow got fingerless gloves last year, and Lark got the chunky smoke ring scarf from the leftover Silk Garden I used for my sister’s scarf.

Good thing I’m a fast knitter, no?

No comments: