About Me

My photo
Four years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Have given up perfect manicures and pretty hands in order to resume playing the soprano recorder and to see if I can figure out how to play bluegrass banjo. Singing in the shower. Still really, *really* love to knit!

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mamma Mia!

I didn’t know that Meryl Streep has a nice, clear singing voice. I shouldn’t have been surprised. And I didn’t know that Pierce Brosnan um, well, I give him full points for trying. I was all set to watch “The Quiet Man” after dinner last night, until the new guy said that he had “Mamma Mia!”

Sorry, Duke. I love you more than my luggage, but a musical will almost always outgun you.

In other surprising revelations, I learned that Darius Rucker, the country singer, is the same person as Hootie of Hootie and the Blowfish. Which would explain why I like “Come Back Song” as much as I’ve always liked “I Only Want to Be With You”.

Boggles. The. Mind. Almost as much as the fact that when I was listening to snippets of what the new guy’s oldest son was preparing to load onto his dad’s iPod, and I commented on how much I liked that second song, the new guy said, “Yeah, Darius Rucker is...” and I don’t remember what he said after that, because I was going “Butbutbutbutbut”.

It was a really good day. I drove at least 200 miles. [Felt like 500 on the last leg of the drive home.] I can still walk this morning, which is good because I need to sluice off very quickly and be out the door in a bit less than an hour. My friend the RS president asked if I could pick somebody up for church, which is certainly one way to make sure I’m there, on time, in my own ward.

I love Heaven’s sense of humor, even when it is aimed in my direction.

1 comment:

nekokoi said...

i adore Mamma Mia. the first time i saw it i was expecting campy fun, but it was better than just camp and i saw it thrice in theaters and owned the dvd the first week it was out. i watch it with alarming regularity and always sing along.

Amanda Seyfried does an especially lovely job as Sophie i think.

..i think i should go watch it again now. xD