About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Ten days of whatever. Day Seven.

Day Seven: Four turn-offs.

1. Cigar smoke

2. Spitting on the sidewalk

3. Talk radio

4. The fight music from Dragon Warrior

And in that same spirit, some comments inspired by a friend’s blog post about the shooting in Arizona:

I was a child when President Kennedy was shot. I was a young mother when President Reagan was shot. I wept for both of them. The current state of American politics is frustrating (though still better than most or all other countries). I am not aware of any political party which truly represents what I believe.

I wish that more people, of all faiths, who hold themselves to the high standards which are required of those who attend the (LDS) temple, would quietly and civilly and decently run for office.

I dislike the liberal press and the conservative talk show hosts almost equally.

The way to effect change in government is through the ballot box, through thoughtful letters written to our elected representatives, and through prayer. Can you imagine the good which would happen in our country if we all prayed for one another? Consistently?

Naturally, since I do not watch the news or take the paper, I found out about this late Saturday night after reconnecting my computer to the outside world. Obviously, the people who did this are unfamiliar with, or have forgotten, the Golden Rule.

End of rant. I had a magical day yesterday. I was noodling around with my budget and let the time get away from me. Suddenly it was ten minutes to church, and I was still in my pajamas, unshowered. So I left a message on my RS president’s cell phone, and I called Firstborn to confirm that yes, they were meeting at 1:00 this year, and I went to church with them. And then I went back to their house and had leftover spaghetti and watched the fourth and fifth Harry Potter movies.

As the big project is too big and too bright for inconspicuous church knitting, I wound up some of my stash yarn and started my own version of the Kinetic Cowl in Claudia’s Fingering 55 (55% silk, 45% merino), colorway Desert Dusk. Twelve stitches per row on my four-inch size 4 birch DP’s. I will either knit until I have a few yards left so that I may do the chain-stitch join using one of my trusty crochet hooks, as the pattern specifies, or I will knit until it’s all gone, then get creative with a needlepoint yarn in a similar fiber blend from The French Knot.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

It was nice having so much of your time this weekend. Have a great week!

AlisonH said...

May we all live by the Golden Rule a little better. I loved your comment.