About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Friday, September 06, 2013

Friday, blessed Friday!

I've had three really good days at work this week and am hoping for a fourth. At lunch several of us will be going to a restaurant in an old, old part of Dallas for dessert, to celebrate the refi and the start of a new chapter in my life.

I want to spend money. (I get that way sometimes.) So I came home last night and fixed myself a salmon burger and some baked tater tots and worked on the spreadsheet instead of going out to eat. Later I went out and bought a half gallon of milk and a turtle sundae.

Since I have no mortgage payment this month, I wrote a check toward the line of credit and will mail that out today. That way I don't have a big chunk of disposable income tempting me to spend it. And I'll be that much closer to having no consumer debt. The truck will be paid off soon, and I'll split that payment in half and add it to what's being taken out of each paycheck for the line of credit.

This is my best year ever for sticking to a budget. I am so thankful for the inspiration that has come along as I needed it, and for the Heavenly assistance in following through. I couldn't have accomplished this much on my own.

And at this moment I am thankful not to have home Internet access, except on my phone. I am going to focus on clearing off the fallow side of the bed this weekend. Including pitching out every catalogue that has crept into the house. Maybe I can get the last three or four boxes of my clothing unpacked and sorted through, instead of using coupons for X% off on new items.

It's so easy to tell myself that I've been financially responsible all year and the new clothes are so cute (well, some of them) and it's time for a splurge. I'm going to drown out that little voice by keeping myself busy tonight and all day tomorrow. I certainly have enough to do around here. And I love how I feel when I create one more pocket of order. (Thankfully, I have no temptation to shop on the Sabbath.)

I love to bag up stuff and set it by the front door. I love delivering it to one of our kids or dropping it off at a thrift store and seeing that space in the living room open up again. I love seeing the financial progress I've made this year. With Heaven's help I can continue.

So if you feel inclined to send up a prayer for my continued progress, I would very much appreciate it. (Yeah. I know. I just asked for help. That's progress of another sort entirely.)

No comments: