About Me

My photo
Ten years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Saturday, September 07, 2013

Puttering.

That's my plan for today. At the moment it's ten minutes of up and about, followed by a round of knitting. That should keep my ankles happy while ensuring a steady flow of productivity on multiple fronts.

I put a microfleece blanket into the washer on hot, hoping to dissolve spatters of candle wax that dripped down onto it when it was folded under a shelf last fall.

I am assembling a small pile of mending. It would be nice to get that checked off the list today. There is also the matter of Beloved's unfinished sweater, which has floated to the top of the deal-with-it pile. Maybe take it to Knit Night with the unused yarn and offer it to the knitsibs? Middlest suggested putting it in a shadowbox, which is an excellent idea. But all that good wool could be warming a living being this winter, and that might be a higher use.

He loved Packers green and gold. And they are distressingly similar to my high school colors and the ugly pep club uniform I wore the first semester of my sophomore year, which I sold for cash to buy my mother's Christmas present as soon as football season was over. So I will not be frogging his sweater to make one for myself, or an afghan for the living room.

I will pick Lorelai up later this morning. And I need to replace my sneakers. It's an order from my massage therapist, who thinks that might be a factor in my foot pain.

One trip through the washer barely budged the wax splatters. If this second trip does no better, I will cut the blanket down to nap size and buy another for the upcoming winter.

It's been a productive morning so far. I feel a nap coming on. Life is good.

2 comments:

ruthsplace said...

You could scrape the wax splatters off and then place a brown paper bag over the was splatters and run a warm (not hot) iron over them. That should lift the wax off.

Lynn said...

I could. But I didn't. I reminded myself that I have fifteen bajillion more important things to do, and that I didn't particularly want to cut down and re-hem the blanket. So I (insert gasp of disbelief) took the dam(p) thing and stuffed it in a garbage bag and dropped it in the bin outside. You know what? It felt *great*!!!