About Me

My photo
Eleven years into widowhood, after one year of incredible happiness and nearly 14 years of single blessedness. Retired, and mostly enjoying it. Still knitting. [Zen]tangling.again after a brief hiatus.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

The Empress has new clothes.

My first order from Gudrun Sjödén arrived at the office today. The tunic and the blouse need pressing, but the skirt is pretty much ready to wear.

Skipped Halloween in favor of dinner with Fourthborn and hanging out at Panera with our respective projects. She's remaking an old T-shirt into a shirt for the American Girl doll our friend Lisa rescued and rehabbed for her. I added several rounds to the current baby sock.

I want more of the skirts. Lyocell with a bit of spandex, smooth and silky to the touch, and they go all the way down to my ankles. The coppery color of the shirt and the warm burgundy of the skirt remind me of a favorite outfit that I made in the early 70's. A warm gold (verging on pumpkin) sleeveless tunic with a wide stand-up collar, worn over a fire engine red mini skirt, back when I had the legs for it. Both made from a poly-cotton blend that I think we called hopsacking. I've slept since then. I've got a vintage Harvé Benard scarf picked out to wear with it, but the floral Pucci scarf my sister gave me would look great as well. And I have an enameled bangle that Br. Sushi brought me from one of his travels

The tunic is gorgeous as well. Hand-embroidered in India, so it will need some babying if I don't want it to shrink so much that it would fit BittyBit.

I have another tunic on the way, my first purchase from Zulily. It's music-themed.

The rayon plaid tunic that I bought at Cato is already starting to show some wear. Apparently the yarn is very loosely spun, because there is a narrow swathe of tiny pills where the shoulder belt rubs it when I drive.

I go through periods where getting dressed is simply a matter of comfort and coverage, with style being an afterthought. There are other times when I am passionately interested in clothing, and it's easy to find things I like that suit both my body and my spirit. I seem to be easing into one of those.

Night, y'all. If I want to have as good a day back at work tomorrow as I did today, I need to go to bed now.

No comments: